Making the transition from an Android phone to an iPhone can be challenging — unlike upgrading from one Android device to another (or an iPhone to another iPhone), there’s no single, seamless, one-click transfer process.
But it’s not especially difficult, either. There are a handful of ways to transfer contacts from an Android device to an iPhone, depending upon whether you want to set up a new iPhone or move just a few contacts to an existing iPhone.
Here are four ways to move your contacts from an Android phone to an iPhone.
5. Tap Continue on both devices and agree to the terms and conditions in Move to iOS, then tap Next.
6. In the Move to iOS app, enter the code that’s displayed on the iPhone.
7. Follow the instructions to complete the transfer.
How to transfer contacts from Android to iPhone by syncing a Google account
This is a great option if you keep your Android contacts in a Google account. It works with both a new iPhone and one that’s already set up. All you need to do is to add your Android’s Google account information to the iPhone.
1. On the iPhone, start the Settings app.
2. Tap “Passwords & Accounts.”
3. Tap “Add Account” and then tap “Google.”
4. Follow the instructions to add your Google account to the iPhone. It’ll automatically sync all your Google info, including contacts.
How to transfer contacts from Android to iPhone using a VCF file
This is a great option if some of your contacts aren’t in a Google account so you can’t just sync accounts, or if you just want to transfer only a few contacts.
2. Tap the three dots at the top right of the screen to open the menu, and then tap “Share.”
4. Choose the contacts you want to transfer. You can tap “All” or choose contacts one at a time.
5. When you’re done, tap “Share.”
6. If you only selected one contact, you’ll need to select “VCF file.” If you selected multiple contacts, VCF is your only choice.
7. Choose how you want to get the VCF file to your iPhone. The easiest option is probably email or text message. Send the file.
8. On the iPhone, open the VCF file and choose to add the contacts to your iPhone.
How to transfer contacts from Android to iPhone with a SIM card
You may be able to use your Android’s SIM card as a transfer device to copy contacts as well. This is perhaps the least convenient solution, though, because it requires you to physically swap SIM cards around between the phones.
1. On your Android phone, open the Contacts app.
2. Tap the three horizontal lines (the hamburger menu).
3. Tap “Manage contacts.”
4. On the Manage contacts page, tap “Import/export contacts.”
5. Tap “Export.”
6. Choose where the contacts will be exported to — tap “SIM card.”
7. Choose which contacts you want to export. Tap “All” or tap contacts one at a time, and then tap “Done.”
8. Tap “Export.” You might need to confirm this selection.